Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Littlest Crochet Flower

Hi readers! The pattern associated with this post has moved to http://whatimadelastweekend.com/2024/01/07/the-littlest-crochet-flower-pattern/ Please look there for new updates.


My Irish Crochet materials finally arrived!

From Top Left: DMC Cardonnet Special 30 in white, DMC Cardonnet Special 40 in white, DMC tatting cotton (size 80) in medium plum, Boye steel crochet hooks in sizes 7, 11, 12 and 14.
For anyone who's not familiar with crochet thread sizes, the higher the number, the thinner the thread.  The same goes for the hooks, the higher the number, the smaller the hook!

The first thing I did was create a teeny tiny flower motif using the tatting cotton.

Yes, that's my thumb!
For comparison, here it is next to a flower of extremely similar pattern (the big one has a few more stitches in each petal) where the big one is done in what I think is size 10 thread (it was just in my stash and I didn't have a label).  



It was much more difficult to crochet with the size 80 thread!  It was a welcome challenge though, as I haven't felt challenged by the grab-the-yarn-and-pull-it-through process since I was a kid.


I had to adjust the pattern for the thread size (80) and hook size (14).  Here's a pattern for those sizes of thread and hook, which is based on my tiny flower motif pattern (the bigger motif in the picture).  I realized that for these sizes, you didn't need 25 double crochet in the initial loop, so it's reduced to 20, and the rest of the pattern is appropriately scaled:






No comments:

Post a Comment