Friday, September 19, 2014

Cherry Blossom Motif

Hi readers! The pattern associated with this post has moved to http://whatimadelastweekend.com/2024/01/07/cherry-blossom-motif/ Please look there for new updates.

I'm designing an Irish Crochet piece (finally!!!)with cherry blossoms all over it, and I couldn't find just the right flower motif to make it look right.  Let me be clear that were plenty of beautiful ones on Ravelry, they just weren't what I was looking for: flatish, detailed and thread friendly. So I spent the afternoon designing my own!  As usual, I'm sharing the pattern (at bottom of page)

So here is a picture of real cherry blossoms for comparison (with source and permission of course!):

"Spring in Somerville, NJ - 2012 File 3" by Siddharth Mallya - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons.

Here is my first attempt with size 10 white thread (unknown brand) and DMC Tatting Cotton in plum for the center:




And my final pattern piece with DMC Cordonnet No 30 blanc and the same tatting thread in the center.






And because I love thread size comparisons, here's one of those!


And finally, a picture of a rough concept for the final design.  I plan to create stems just overloaded with the little version of the flowers, just like real cherry trees! I'm also planning to design a separate motif for the buds so I can have a few of those as well.  Please excuse the wrinkled fabric I pinned it to.


Pattern has moved to http://whatimadelastweekend.com/2024/01/07/cherry-blossom-motif/ for current review and support. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment